- 8 Portobello mushrooms, stems and gills removed
- 1 pound hot Italian Sausage
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 16 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
- fresh basil for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Remove stems from mushrooms and use a spoon to scrape out the gills. Arrange on a baking sheet, brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a saute pan over medium heat, brown the sausage. Remove from pan. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil. When hot, add the onions and bell peppers, season with salt and pepper. Saute until they have released their water and water has evaporated, and they are soft and starting to turn golden.
- Add the garlic and oregano, saute for 30 seconds. Add the crushed tomatoes and the sausage back into the pan, stir. Simmer for at least 20 minutes to let flavors combine.
- Spoon sausage mixture into the mushrooms, top with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and mushrooms are tender. Finish under the broiler for 1-2 minutes to brown cheese, if desired.
- Garnish with fresh chopped basil if desired.
Recipe soruce: foxandbriar