- 8 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thinly
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 anchovies, rinsed and chopped
- 1 (28 oz.) can whole tomatoes and their juice, preferably no salt added
- 1/2 cup chopped, pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 cup freshly chopped arugula
- Parmesan cheese, crumbled w/fork
- Basil leaves
- Fresh arugula (optional)
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water with salt until barely al dente.
- While pasta is cooking, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add red onion, garlic, anchovies, and red bell pepper flakes. Cook, stirring, until garlic is fragrant and onion is slightly caramelized, about 2-4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and their juice, breaking them up by hand. Stir in capers and olives. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer until thickened, approx 8-10 min. Stir in arugula and simmer for a minute until slightly wilted.
- When pasta is done, drain and add to skillet, tossing it with sauce to combine. Top with crumbled cheese and torn basil.
Recipe source: healthyaperture