- 4 large chicken breasts, (6 ounces each)
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, the kind that comes in a log
- 2 medium roma tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, divided (half of it cut into ribbons)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- sea salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- Make 5-6 deep slits in each chicken breast, being careful not to cut all the way through. Season both sides with sea salt and black pepper. Place onto the lined baking sheet.
- Slice the tomatoes and mozzarella very thinly, about 1/8" to 1/4" thick, and cut the pieces to a width slightly wider than the thickness of your chicken breast. Stuff a piece of mozzarella, a tomato slice, and a whole basil leaf into each slit in the chicken.
- Drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar over the chicken.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until cooked through (heated to 160 degrees F with a meat thermometer).
- When the chicken is ready, sprinkle remaining fresh basil ribbons on top right before serving. If desired, drizzle with additional balsamic vinegar.
Recipe source: lowcarbmaven