Fluffy, buttery, white cake loaf loaded with chunks of apples and layers of brown sugar and cinnamon swirled inside and on top. Simply Irresistible!
Author: Kim Lange
Brown Sugar/Cinnamon Mixture:
· 1/3 cup light brown sugar
· 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
· 1/2 cup butter softened
· 2/3 cup granulated sugar
· 2 eggs room temp
· 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
· 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
· 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
· 1/2 cup milk or almond milk room temp
· 2 apples any kind, peeled and chopped, mixed with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Old-Fashioned Creme Glaze
· 1/2 cup of powdered sugar
· 1-3 tablespoons of milk or cream- depending on thickness of glaze wanted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use a 9x5-inch loaf pan and spray with non-stick spray or line with foil and spray with non-stick spray to get out easily for slicing.
2. Mix 1/3 cup brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon together in a bowl. Set aside.
3. Combine & whisk 1 & 1/2 cups flour and 1 & 3/4 teaspoons baking powder together in another bowl and set aside.
4. In another medium-sized bowl, beat 2/3 cup granulated sugar and 1/2 cup softened butter together using an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
5. Beat in 2 eggs, 1 at a time, until blended in; add in 1 & 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract.
6. Add the flour mixture into creamed butter mixture and mix until blended.
7. Mix 1/3 cup milk into batter until smooth.
8. Pour half the batter into the prepared loaf pan; add half the chopped apple mixture.
9. Sprinkle 1/2 of the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture you set aside earlier, on top of apple layer.
10. Pour the remaining batter over apple layer and top with remaining chopped apples, then the remaining brown sugar/cinnamon mixture.
11. Lightly pat apples into batter; swirl brown sugar mixture through apples using knife or spoon.
12. Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean, approximately 60 minutes.
13. To make glaze, mix 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 1 to 3 tablespoons milk or cream together until well mixed. (Place mixture in microwave for 10 seconds to get it pourable if it needs a boost.)
14. Let loaf rest in pan for about 15 minutes before removing from pan to let cool off completely on a cooling rack. Drizzle with glaze.
15. If you want more glaze, make a double batch.
Optional:Next time I think I would add in walnuts. You can always use other fruit, or you could add in chocolate chips too! (Of course!)Substitutions: I've also substituted this with 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt, 1/3 cup milk and add 1/4 teaspoon baking soda instead of 1/2 cup milk as called out in the bread loaf ingredients.Baking options: Bake 30-40 min. for 2 loaf recipe, 15-20 minutes for muffins or 50 -60 minutes for one full loaf recipe or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.